HAN BA TANG, NORTH YORK

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

When I go out with the guys there are three things that always happen.

I. They will come exactly 1 hour or 1.5 hours after the time they said they initially were
II. I never know where we are going until halfway into the car ride
III. Music is loud in the car and we sing along to it

Back to point I: even though I know they'll be arriving later than they said they would, I always have this lingering hope that one day night they will come on time, so I get ready at 9 when they say, "Coming at 9".

But as always, they come 1-1.5 hours later.


So how was this night any different?
Basing on the first three points, it wasn't any different, it was the restaurant that made it different (not one of usuals). Which is also the reason why I came unprepared and took pictures with my phone and not camera. This place is famous for their infused soju and modern Korean dishes.
 
Very rustic, quirky, bare architecture


And I don't even like tacos (it's true, my friends will tell the same), but this spicy pork taco was so delicious I had two.


Kimchi bulgogi poutine is just like what it sounds like. The acidity of kimchi help cut through the grease, and the meat provides some substance. They serve it in a shallow pan so that every fry gets an adequate dose of topping (because no one likes eating the plain and not soggy fries at the bottom).


"Because girls like white sauce" was what I said when they asked why girls like this dish so much. Things always sound better in my mind and sometimes I wish I talked less out loud. It came with a small side of pickled cabbage, which helps you eat more of the rice cakes drenched in cream sauce.


Chicken wings! Wow this was impressive. Because, they removed one of the two bones in the middle wing (my favorite part of the wing, because middle >  tip > drum), and deep fried it to a glorious crispy crunch.



Notice that curved edge of the cup rim! That curved edge hugs your lips - yes it did elevate my beer drinking enjoyment.


Beer? Yes, they have that here too. We got three pitchers: Hoegaarden (a light beer), Rickards (a dark one), and Sapporo (because we're at an Asian food place and need some Asian beer). Because the food was so tasty I nursed a pint of each with no problem!


Strawberry, then peach

I don't like fruit flavoured liquid drinks (that means smoothies excluded) very much. The only ones I don't mind that much are lemon juice (ratio of 1:1 with water, no sugar) and orange (with lots of pulp). So I don't like cocktails because the taste is very artificial fruity sweetness. 




They are known for their infused soju, which you can try all at once for a $15 soju flight. But we got 2 flavours instead. The peach, and the strawberry. I didn't like the peach soju cocktail. But the strawberry one was basically soju + strawberry YOP, and it was delicious. Would get that one next time (or just make it at home).
Click to add a blog post for Han Ba Tang on Zomato
Oh yes, and the environment in this place? Very nice - there is a wide mix of types of people here (different ethnicities), and the servers (including an ajumma) and waiters/waitresses are fun and friendly. 

The guys especially like the waitresses. And I especially like the waiters.



P/S

It's already more than a month into 2015, but last week I still wrote the year to be 2014 in my some of my lecture notes.
Sometimes I just don't think much.

Made some pumpkin tarts and she wanted them bad

Dear readers, when has your forgetfulness not caused an issue?


Subscribe